For the most part, there are two kinds of transformer Oil utilized in the transformer:
- Paraffin-based transformer oil
- Naphtha-based transformer oil
Naphtha oil gets more effectively oxidized than Paraffin oil. In any case, oxidation item, i.e., slop in the naphtha oil is more solvent than Paraffin oil. Hence ooze of naphtha-based oil isn’t encouraged in the base of the transformer.
Thus it doesn’t discourage convection dissemination of the oil, implies it doesn’t bother the transformer cooling framework. However, on account of Paraffin oil despite the fact that oxidation rate is lower than that of Naphtha oil the oxidation item or slime is insoluble and accelerated at the base of the tank and discourage the transformer cooling framework.
Despite the fact that Paraffin-based oil has the weakness as made reference to before yet at the same time in our nation, we utilize it due to its simple accessibility. Another issue with paraffin-based oil is its high pour indicate due to the wax content, yet this does not influence its utilization because of warm atmosphere state of India.
Difference between Naphthenic Oil & Paraffinic Oil:
1) Naphthenic oil: Mineral protecting oil got from unique crudes containing low n-paraffin i.e. wax.
Paraffinic oil:- Mineral protecting oil got from unique crudes containing the significant measure of n-paraffin i.e. wax.
2) Naphthenic oil: The pour purpose of Naphthenic Oil is not as much as the Paraffinic Oil as the wax content is low.
Paraffinic oil: The pour purpose of Paraffinic Oil is more than the Naphthenic Oil as the wax content is high.
3) Naphthenic oil: The breaking point of Naphthenic Oil is around 425 °C.
Paraffinic oil:- The breaking point of Paraffinic Oil is around 530 °C.
4) Naphthenic oil: Naphthenic Oils are more promptly oxidized than Paraffinic Oils.
Paraffinic oil:- Oxidation of Paraffinic Oil is less.
5) Naphthenic oil: Oxidation results of Naphthenic Oils are solvent in the oil.
Paraffinic oil:- Oxidation results of Paraffinic Oils are insoluble in the oil.
6) Naphthenic oil: The oxidation of paraffin-based crudes delivers an insoluble ooze, which builds the thickness. It results in lessened warmth exchange abilities, overheating and decreased administration life.
Paraffinic oil: Despite the fact that naphthenic oils are more promptly oxidized than paraffinic the oxidation items are solvent in the oil results in a decrease of the issue.
7) Naphthenic oil: Naphthenic oils contain sweet-smelling mixes which stay liquid at nearly low temperatures, for example, – 40°C.
In India, Naphthenic based Transformer oil is utilized regardless of its high pour point. High Pour point does not cause any issue due to the hot atmosphere of India. As Naphthenic based oil is effortlessly accessible in India and India has very warm Temperature, in this manner Naphthenic based oil is utilized.
Dampness content in Transformer Oil is exceptionally bothersome as it influences the dielectric properties of the oil. The water content in oil additionally influences the paper protection of the center and twisting of the Transformer.