Transformer Oil frames an exceptionally huge piece of the transformer protection framework and has the vital elements of going about as an electrical protection and in addition coolant to disperse warm misfortunes.
Transformer Oil will be gotten by fragmentary refining and ensuing treatment of unrefined petroleum. It comprises natural mixes in particular paraffin, naphthenes, aromatics, and olefins. Every one of these mixes is hydrocarbons.
1 ) Physical Properties – Types of physical properties of Transformer Oil.
- Interfacial Tension of Transformer Oil:-An interfacial pressure between the water and oil interface is the best approach to quantify the alluring atomic power among water and oil. in Dyne/cm or milli-Newton/meter. An interfacial strain is actually valuable for deciding the nearness of polar contaminants and oil rot items. Great new oil, for the most part, shows high interfacial strain. Oil oxidation contaminants bring down the IFT.
- Streak Point of Transformer Oil:-Streak purpose of transformer oil is the temperature at which oil gives enough vapors to deliver a combustible blend with air. This blend gives transitory glimmer on the utilization of fire under standard condition. Flashpoint is imperative since it determines the odds of flame danger in the transformer. So it is attractive to have a high glimmer purpose of transformer oil. When all is said in done it is more than 140o(>10o).
- Pour Point of Transformer Oil:-it is the base temperature at which oil starts to stream under standard test condition. Pour motivation behind transformer oil is a critical property essentially at the spots where the air is sub-zero. If the oil temperature falls underneath the pour point, transformers oil stops convection gushing and dissuade cooling in a transformer.
- Thickness of Transformer Oil:-In few words, the thickness of transformer oil can be said that consistency is the opposition of stream, in ordinary condition. Protection from the stream of transformer oil implies block of convection flow of oil inside the transformer. Great oil ought to have a low consistency with the goal that it offers less protection from the traditional stream of oil in this manner not influencing the cooling of a transformer. The low consistency of transformer oil is fundamental, yet it is similarly essential that the thickness of oil should increment as less as conceivable with an abatement in temperature. Each fluid turns out to be thicker if the temperature diminishes.
2 ) Chemical Properties – Types of chemical properties of Transformer Oil.
- Water Content in Transformer Oil:-Water content impacts the life of a transformer from multiple points of view. The undeniable and by and large known viewpoint is its immediate impact on the dielectric quality of the protecting medium – oil and strong protection. Besides, the quickened maturing of the strong protection through hydrolysis forms and the subsequent loss of mechanical properties, and additionally the much dreaded “percolating”, i.e. the danger of air pocket development if there should arise an occurrence of dynamic load changes, are of essential concern.
- The acidity of Transformer Oil:-The acidity of transformer oil is destructive property. On the off chance that oil winds up acidic, the water content in the oil turns out to be more solvent in the oil. The corrosiveness of oil decays the protection property of paper protection of winding. Corrosiveness quickens the oxidation procedure in the oil. Corrosive additionally incorporates rusting of iron within the sight of dampness. The causticity of transformer oil is proportion of its acidic constituents of contaminants. We express the causticity of oil in mg of KOH required to kill the corrosive present in a gram of oil. This is otherwise called balance number.